Almond/Sarah Ruhl.

"The Almond" Hairstyle of 1979.

Sarah Ruhl is a playwright, and she deserves a shout out from notesontone as she is the inspiration and contributor of the title of this blog, "Would anyone care for an almond?" This line was lifted from one of her plays - either "The Clean House," "Eurydice," "Late: A Cowboy Song," or "Melancholy Play." You see I just kinda opened the book I have of her plays and this was the first line I read and didn't note which piece it came from. Silly me, I do apologize. I also recommend reading all of these plays and seeing them if possible.

From "Melancholy Play"
14. Joan, Tilly, Frank, Lorenzo and Frances the Almond
Tilly:
We're all here with a common purpose.
To get Frances back.
Lorenzo:
(to Frank) You again.
Frank:
Let's be friends, Lorenzo, for the sake of Frances.
(Turning towards the almond) This is my sister?
Joan:
I'm afraid so.
Frank:
Can I hold her?
Joan:
Of course.
Joan hands Frank the almond.
Frank:
Frances!
Tilly:
Do you recognize her?
Frank:
I think so.
Joan:
Frances.
I'd rather be an almond with you
than be a person with me.
Tell me how to be an almond.
Tell me, tell me, tell me.
I'll be quiet.
Tilly:
Can you hear anything?
Joan:
No.


No comments: